Windows Updates play a great role in security. We always recommend installing updates that are marked as Important. If you are having automatic update installation setting enabled then; you do not need to worry about anything, as windows install all the updates from the background. For some reason, if your server has not automatic update installation enabled, you must install all the important updates manually, or set it to automatic according to your preference.
In this article, we will cover two operating systems: Windows Server 2012 R2 & Windows Server 2016. There might be slight changes in the steps or information according to your windows operating system, but overall everything reflects the same action. In the same article learn detailed steps about: How to Apply Windows Updates For Server 2012 R2, 2016?
Method 1 – Using Windows Updater
Windows Server 2016
1. Login to Windows Server and Search and open “Check for updates“.
2. Now click on “Check Updates“, now windows will check the available updates and starts downloading.
3. After finishing the download, windows will prepare the updates files and starts the installation.
4. Once the installation is done, you need to Reboot the server.
5. (Optional) You can check the recent installed Updates from “Update History“.
Windows Server 2012 R2
1. Login to Windows Server and Search and open “Control Panel“.
2. Check the view type of Control to “Small Icons” to enable the view of all the available options.
3. Now, click on “Windows Updates“.
4. In most of the Windows Server 2012 R2, automatic updates are disabled, for that, you need to Turn On the automatic updates or you can click on “Check for the updates” Once, we do that, windows will start looking for the available updates,
5. Next, windows will display all the available updates, now select the important updates,
6. Select, all the important updates from the list and click on Install.
7. Windows will prepare for the installation and instantly starts the installation of selected updates after download,
8. Finally, once the installation is done, you need to Reboot the server.
Method 2 – Using Windows Powershell
1. Login to Windows Server, search and open “Windows Powershell“.
2. First, we need to check the available updates, for that windows, PowerShell has a separate module, first install the update module using the following command,
3. Once update module installation is done, check the available update using the following command,
4. Now, run the following command to install the updates,
In the article, we went through how to apply windows updates for servers 2012 R2 and 2016. We always recommend updating the windows servers with the latest security patches.
Hyonix was founded in early 2018, as we believed the current pricing of Windows VPS was far too overpriced for most consumers. This makes it nonuser and budget-friendly for many people around the world. Our main goal is to change that – providing powerful licensed Windows VPS at a reasonable price so that everyone can grab one without thinking twice about the performance/price that you will get. Get yourself fully optimized Windows VPS starting @ $6.5/mo from Hyonix.com.