Depending on the custom requirements, you might need to adjust the colour quality/depth of the Remote Desktop. In this article, you will learn about: How to change Remote Desktop Color Depth?
How to change Remote Desktop Color Depth in Windows?
1. Get started by searching “Remote Desktop Connection” or “mstsc” in the search box.
2. Click on “Show Options” → “Display“
3. Click on “Highest Quality (32bit)” and select the required colour depth from the dropdown for your Remote Desktop.
How to change Remote Desktop Color Depth in macOS?
1. Download the “Microsoft Remote Desktop” client from the Mac App Store.
2. Now open the “Microsoft Remote Desktop” application and click on “PCs“, next click on “+” → Add PC.
3. Navigate to “Display” option.
4.Click on “High (32bit)” and select the required colour depth from the dropdown for your Remote Desktop.
a) Optimize for Retinal displays (Optional): Only recommended for connections to Windows 10, Server 2016 or later.
b) Update the session resolution on resize (Optional): Only available when connecting to Windows 8.1, Server 2012 R2 or later.
Which color setting is ideal for regular use?
You might get confused in-between options of color settings (High 32 bit, Medium 16 bit). Choosing color setting is totally personal option, and it is not necessary to configure, as it comes under Optional & Advance configuration.
What is a bit (32 bit, 24 bit, 16 bit)?
Bits define how many unique colors are available in an image color palette.
For example, 32 bit consists of “16777216 Colors + Transparency”.
Which color setting should you select?
As we mentioned above, the more number of bits, the more colors you will get. Also, the more bits you select, the more convincing gradients, shadows, and transparencies you will find. Of course, to process the same request of desired color depth, your computer consumes RAM.
So, the most modern computers with decent monitors preferably have 32-bit support, which is ideal for your eye. If you select 48 bit, it will display more contrast colors for the remote connection. On the other hand, if you choose 16 bit, the quality of the image obviously will be lower than the 24 bit, 32 bit, 48 bit.